August 08, 2013

The wife wonderful

The wife, wonderful though she is, is having what I like to call a "bad couple of days." She made mashed potatoes last night using her new immersion blender. They didn't come out as she expected and she was very distraught about it all night.

About an hour ago she baked some cookies. She's not been forthcoming with the details, but she wasn't happy with them, either. She even threw a little tantrum and shut herself in the bathroom. That's a little extreme, don't you think? They tasted yummy, though, so she's calmed down considerably.

Still, I'm treading lightly. I hope for all our sakes that lunch doesn't surprise her in any way. That would be bad. But it does explain where Older Son's perfectionism comes from. Which was very puzzling to me as I'm hardly home.

We're trying to trek to the park later. Some fresh air should do us all some good. Right now, everything here at network update ground zero seems nominal.

I'd just like to take a moment to say something: Moving, copying, backing up and verifying large amounts of data takes a long time. Now, I can't stress this enough. It takes a long time. No, really. The amount of time that you're thinking of? Is not long enough. Longer. Longer than that, even.

It sounded simple enough to us all. But hell if there's not about seven hours between that comma and the third step. But, it's done now. The data finally got backed up and the final phase of the evening's work is underway. It was a little stressful there for a while, but we made it.

But for future reference, planning is key. I'm underlining that in my notes so that hopefully I'll remember next time. Also underlined: Breach hull, all die.

No comments:

Post a Comment