August 17, 2013

Tell me if you think this is weird

Tell me if you think this is weird:

Two things in writing that really turn me off - "he chuckled" and "she giggled." One sounds Santa Claus-y and the other sounds bimbo-y. Unless you are writing about 1. Santa Claus or 2. Pamela Anderson the words are just not good.

[You are welcome to put this down to a weird and idiosynchratic reaction to characters who laugh. I won't hold it against you. I'm thinking it's weird and idiosynchratic too.]

I'm reading John Stewart's America: A Citizen's Guide To Democracy Inaction. Goddamn, but it is FUNNY. And educational! I am learning all about American history and the processes of government. Mmmmm... edifying...

And speaking of amusing, I was searching for a biography for Justice Mary Gaudron (first and only woman to serve on Australia's High Court) and I found a speech she gave to the Women Lawyers of NSW in 2002 that started like this:

Some of you will remember Yossarian, the main character in Joseph Heller's Catch-22, who, hoping to live forever or, at least, until he finished his tour of duty as a bomber pilot in the Second World War, pursued a life of boredom on the theory that, that way, time would go more slowly – perhaps so slowly that he would live for ever. It may be that, tonight, I will be able to extend your lives by the same process.

Yes, she's a bit of a comedian as you can see. But, dear literary flist, who can tell me what is wrong with that paragraph, hmmmm?


After you wrote me two fabulous stories I feel somewhat lacking that I have nothing for you. Will you take an IOU? But let me say "bon anniversaire!" (which is about the extent of what I remember from high school French) and hope you had a great day - I figure it's over by now). Hope you bought beer or something. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment